by Taylor C. Woodward
EARLY CHURCHES OR MEETING HOUSES OF AUGUSTA TOWNSHIP
METHODIST EPISCOPAL MEETING HOUSE
Old records show a transfer of 1/2 acre more or less, of land in the southeast 1/4 of Section 15, Township 16, at the north side of Augusta (located 1 chain and 50 links north and 3 chains and 38 links east from a post on the west line, which is 93 rods and 10 links from the southwest corner of the said 1/4 Section), from William Wrigglesworth to William Morehouse, Conrad Brandeberry and Simeon Westfall, trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of the County and State, all to be used for a burying ground by all denominations and professions, except a plot forty feet square, on which to build a Meeting House. (Recorded June 13, 1833)
A Meeting House was built, and a few were buried in this cemetery, but were later moved to the cemetery across the road. No other record has been found.
CHRISTIAN MEETING HOUSE
Old records show a transfer of 1/2 acre of land for $10, located in the southwest corner of the northwest 1/4 of Section 19, Township 15, from Michael Fimple and Elizabeth, his wife, to Charles Markham, Joseph Leslie and Jacob Eitenier, trustees of the Christian Society, and their successors in office for ever, for a Meeting House and a burying ground. (Recorded May 1, 1847)
A Meeting House was built at this location in which services were held for an unknown number of years. No church record has been found.
EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH
Old record show a transfer of 88 rods, more or less of land, located in the southeast corner of the southwest 1/4 of Section 30, Township 15, on T.R. 238, for $7, Feb. 26, 1850, from John Cook and Elizabeth, his wife, to Henry Leyde, George Ebersole, Mr. Fitehandle and John Gants, church council of the Evangelical Lutheran Congregation, organized March 4, 1845, in the Swamp Church in Harrison Township.
A church was built at this location, and known to be there as late as 1874. No church records have been found.