History of Augusta Township
by Taylor C. Woodward


Former historians say Jacob Brown built a log hut where the H. M. Shaw maple grove now stands, which is 200 yards more or less south of the public square in Augusta, on the east side of the road.  This must have been the first house in or near what is now Augusta, also Jacob Brown may have been here as early as 1809.  Augusta was first called Brownsville.  There must have been more than one family of Browns here in the early history, as several different Brown's names appear on some of the early deeds around Augusta.

Old deeds state on Sept. 7, 1812, Jacob Brown received from the United States (James Madison, Pres.), by patent deed, the southeast Quarter of Sec. 15, Twp. 15, R. 5.  Also August 10, 1813, the northwest Quarter of Sec. 23, Twp. 15, R. 5 was transferred from the United States by patent deed to Jacob Brown.  This Quarter Sec. Mr. Brown sold Feb. 29, 1816 to Thomas Brown 156.56 acres for $792.80.

The following is a copy of Jacob Brown's original plat of Augusta, which was recorded in Columbiana County March 31, 1818, and was transcribed from their records and recorded in Carroll County July 27, 1868, James Holder, Recorder.

Section 15, Township 15, Range 5, beginning at a post in the New Philadelphia Road, where a white oak 16 inches in diameter is, N. 21 degrees 30 " W. 8 links.  All the lots fronting on Main Street are 60 feet in front and 160 feet deep, and those fronting on Market Street are 60 feet in front and 180 feet deep.  Main and Market Streets are each 60 feet wide.  Certified to be a true plat, James Craig, surveyor - Feb. 28, 1818, Columbiana County, Ohio, personally appeared before me one of the Justices of the Peace in and for said county, Jacob Brown, and acknowledged the within Plat of the town of Augusta and all the streets and alleys as his act and deed agreeable to the laws providing for the laying out and recording of town plats.  Given under my hand March 3, 1818, Joseph Springer, J. P. Recorded and compared, March 31, 1818, J. Springer, Recorder.

In 1803, Matthew Crawford, his son William, and their families emigrated from County Donegal, Ireland to the United States, locating in Washington County, Penna.  In 1820, Matthew in company with his three sons, came to what is now Augusta Township, Carroll County, where his sons received 160 acres each of land by deed, from the United States Land Office, William Crawford receiving the southwest Quarter of Sec. 15, Twp. 15, R. 5.  In 1836, William Crawford and Nancy his wife, sold this quarter section to their son George for $650.  It remaining in this name until the 1870's or later, the major part of it remains in the Crawford name at the present time.  A part of the west side of Augusta is located in this quarter section.

The original lots of the village, when they were first sold, brought from ten to twenty dollars each, many of them changing owners several times in the early history, and each time at a higher price.

Jacob Brown and Rachel his wife sold lot No. 17 to Samuel Wass 1821 for $10.  They also sold lot 7 to James Rowley 1822 for $12, lot 10 to Thomas McMillon 1825, lot 15 to Stephen Manfull 1826 for $10, lot 4 to Chris. Johnson 1832, lot 11 to Henry Johnson 1832, part of lot 16 to Roger Morledge 1832.  In 1824, Jacob Brown sold 12 acres more or less adjoining Augusta on the south, to Stephen Manfull for $90.  In 1827, Jacob Brown sold the remaining part of the southeast quarter Sec. 15 in Twp. 15, to William Wrigglesworth for $1000.







6 7 8 1 2 3

W. Main St.

W. Main St.

11 10 9 14 15 16




In the history of Augusta of the many family names that make up the history, the name Manfull has appeared more frequently than any other name, from the time the village was platted in 1818 until the present time.

  George and Emma Manfull Family

George and Emma Manfull Family

In 1837, William Wrigglesworth sold to George Manfull and Mary his wife, the southeast quarter of Sec. 15 in Twp. 15, R. 5, with the following exceptions, two lots to Henry Saunders, one lot to Charles Hays, one lot to William Clinton, a lot for a graveyard, twelve acres sold to Stephen Manfull and the original plat of Augusta, 143 acres more or less for $2500.  George and Mary Manfull remained owners of this farm until 1856 when it was sold to Jehu Manfull, Jehu selling to George Manfull, George selling to Paul J. Manfull, Paul J. Manfull selling to Clair L. Manfull, the fifth generation of Manfulls as owner.

The first business house said to have been in the village was a general store, keeping in stock almost everything needed by the pioneers of that day; this was conducted by a Mr. Morledge.  A general store was also started by A. Hayes about the same time.  James Gaston and William Higby were merchants of an early period.  Manfull brothers operated a general store in the late 1820's and early 30's.  George Manfull opened a second store about 1834, on the northwest corner of the square, this being on Lot No. 8 which was sold by James Rowley in 1837 to Thomas Kinsey, and he selling to John Manfull in 1854.  This lot was sold by Chris. Manfull and Jonathan Milbourn as executors of John Manfull (dec.) to Frances Culp in 1864.  This was where T. B. Culp's mammoth dry goods Emporium was located.  T. B. Culp did a large business in the dry goods line all through the 1870's and was called the boss advertiser by the editor, as he usually had a two column ad in the Chronicle.  In the 1870's and 80's, Augusta was called the Hub by several of the Carrollton people.  It is said that George Manfull sold his store to Levi Marshall, and he to Stephen Wilson; this must have been their first store.

  Thomas J. Kinsey - 1880

Thomas J. Kinsey

The village of Augusta having grown in size beyond the limits of the original plat, a new plat was made and laid out on June 17, 1859, on the south half of Sec. 15, Twp. 15, R. 5, Carroll County, Ohio, by the following named persons, they being the proprietors of the same:  John Manfull, Samuel Milbourn, William Rutledge, John Ashbrook, Thomas Kinsey, Alex McLean, Clark Manfull, John Ashbrook Jr., John H. Shaw, Thomas Culp, John Crook, William Wanen, William Clinton, Criss Manfull, William Ashbrook, Seth Ball, Robert Watson, Madison Leath, John Jackson, Jesse Hendrix, Andrew Figley, Ann Crawford, S. W. Day, John Gans, Stephen Manfull, David Eakin, and Jacob Marshall.  Recorded Feb. 22, 1860 - Jas. E. Philpott, Recorder.

Charles H. Hayes was the first Justice of the Peace in Augusta Township.  Jacob Simpson and Joseph Fleming were also early Justices of the Peace.

Manfull's 1st Addition:  Sec. 15, Twp. 15, R. 5.  Plat of Jehu Manfull's addition to the town of Augusta, taken April 4, 1877 by E. D. Shaw, a stone at the southeast corner of Lot No. 50.  I hereby certify that the above is a correct survey of Manfull's first addition to the town of Augusta.  E. D. Shaw, C. S.  Recorded June 26, 1877, W. M. Hagerman, Recorder, Carroll County, Ohio.

George Gans came to Augusta in 1869 and formed a partnership the same year with T. J. Crawford and Albert Heston, and opened a general store at the present location of the J. W. Brice garage.  It was known as the Crawford, Heston and Gans store.  In 1873, Crawford and Gans bought out Heston.  Then it was Crawford and Gans.  After a period of time, Venemon A. Manfull joined the partnership, then they operated under the name of Crawford, Gans & Manfull.

In 1879, Crawford, Gans and Manfull purchased the entire stock of dry goods owned by T. B. Culp, leased the large store room and moved into their new location.  In 1884, Crawford, Gans and Manfull bought all of T. B. Culp's property.  Mr. Culp went to Minerva where he conducted a general store for a short period of time, then moved to Alliance where he operated the T. B. Culp's dry goods store for several years.  In Sept. 1886, the junior member of the firm, Mr. Manfull, passed away very suddenly, he having worked that day helping to move heavy boxes.  After this the partnership was Crawford and Gans.

In 1889, they were in possession of a dry goods store, a men's clothing store, and a hardware.  After a peaceful twenty year partnership, they mutually agreed to divide.  Crawford taking the dry goods store and building, Gans taking the men's clothing store, the hardware and buildings.

  William David Sheckler

William David Sheckler at the Crawford Store
(Photo provided by Evelyn Sheckler Bowman Baker)

Mr. Crawford continued to operate the store as the T. J. Crawford store until shortly before his death in 1891.  From this time on the store was conducted by his sons, Edgar and William, one or both for many years.  Several different ones have assisted in operating this store, John Dowling, George Gans, H. B. Manfull, H. McGranahan, Perry Caldwell, Miss Anna Smith, Mr. and Mrs. B. K. Cunningham, William Sheckler.  A millinery department in the store was conducted or assisted by Miss Mitzel, Miss Janet Sweeney, Miss Mary Huey, Miss Ina Huey, Miss Myrtle Thomas.

About the year 1903, Edgar Crawford was elected State Senator from this district, and served his tenure of office in the Ohio State Senate.  From this time on, William Crawford conducted the store the most of the time until he passed away in 1944, after which his widow, Mrs. Ina Crawford conducted the store until it was sold to Ralph McCartney, who operated it for a few years, until he was struck by a train at a crossing, from which he died.  The store then was sold to Denton Locke, who was the last owner to conduct a store in this building.

George Gans was proprietor of a men's clothing store in the 1880's and the early 1890's, in a store room adjoining the Crawford and Gans general store.  This building is now owned by the Masons.  This clothing store was conducted for several years by H. B. "Ben" ManfullJ. M. Long conducted a clothing store in Augusta for six years, and probably at this location.  In the year 1900, a door was made between these two store rooms.  Prior to this, the clothing store was a separate store: after this the clothing store was operated in conjunction with Crawford's Store.

A small weekly newspaper called The Augusta Gazette was published in Augusta in 1879, for a period of time by William Roach, Adam Myers and others.

In 1873, the Masons and the Odd Fellows each erected new two story brick buildings on Main Street in Augusta, the Masons on the west half and the Odd Fellows on the east half of lot No. 17, each using the second floor rooms for their meetings and leasing the first floor for store rooms.

In the early 1880's, we find a hardware store in one building, conducted by Len. Cunningham and a general store in the other building, conducted by Ashbrook and Turnipseed.  Ashbrook must have sold out to Turnipseed, as Len. Cunningham bought the entire stock of merchandise of D. B. Turnipseed, in the spring of 1885; Mr. Turnipseed moving to Kensington, where he took over another store.  After taking over both stores, Mr. Cunningham put in a new line of dry goods, millinery, hats, etc., procuring the services of Miss Nellie Curtis, said to be one of the best milliners in Cleveland, to have charge of the millinery department. 

 quite often would have a one or two column ad in the county paper, held discount sales, gave chances on prizes, paid cash for farm produce, or trade for groceries, dry goods, or hardware.

In late 1886 or early 1887, Len. Cunningham sold out to his brother.  Richard Cunningham took over both stores, carrying on the same line of goods with more, added a line of jewelry, men's ready made, also tailor made suits were added.  J. Clark Etling, a cutter and tailor was employed.  Mr. Cunningham also did a lot of advertising, having a two column ad in the paper at times, paid cash or traded for farm produce, and bought an immense lot of poultry in the fall, and had a large trade in 1887.

About 2 A.M., Sunday, Feb. 12, 1888, fire was discovered in the ware room in the back of the Odd Fellows block, and in a short time fire was also discovered in the ware room in the rear of the Mason block on the same lot, and just across a driveway from the first.  Before the citizens could be aroused, it was under such headway, that all that could be done was to save adjoining buildings.  Every building on these lots together with the contents were entirely consumed by fire.  Tom Cunningham's house on the next lot east, though saved from burning, was entirely wrecked by falling walls.  Richard Cunningham occupied the business rooms in both buildings, also the large ware rooms.  This was the largest fire that had been in Augusta up to this time.  It was presumed $30,000 would cover loss, partly covered by insurance.  (Incendiary)

Lemuel Stockman, formerly from East Township, came to Augusta in the early 1880's and started or took over a grocery store on the north side of East Main Street.  A news item of Jan. 1885 states Frank Fleming, our barber has moved his shop to Lem. Stockman's, where he is going to teach Lem. the art of barbering.  From this time on for many years, Mr. Stockman operated a barber shop in conjunction with the grocery store, assisted by his wife or daughter in the store.  This was in the days when a hair cut and shave were a quarter; the quarter being worth twenty five cents in that day.  The writer of this has had many a fifteen cent hair cut by Lem.  Mr. Stockman continued to operate the barber shop and store as long as his health would permit.

After Mr. Stockman's death, his daughter and husband Charles Thomas, conducted the store for a period of time until it was sold to George Leatherberry, Lew. Myers taking over the barber shop for Mr. Leatherberry.  After a short period of time, Charles Leatherberry having learned the profession of barbering, and started up in the Rutledge building, joined his father and took over the barber shop.  Later on, Charles took over the entire store, adding other lines of goods, meats, confectionery items, etc. and remodeled the store, conducting this store with the assistance of different members of the family, for the rest of his life.  Since his decease, a hardware store has been conducted by Seth Owen, in this building for a period of time.

In 1889, D. H. and J. W. Rutledge purchased the lot on which the Odd Fellows building had been located (which was destroyed by fire the year before), and erected a large two story frame building, in which they opened up a general store in the first floor store room, the second floor room being used as a town hall for many years as public needs required.  This store was conducted under the name of Rutledge Bros.

  Addison and Anner Myers

Addison and Anner Myers

After a period of time, J. W. Rutledge moved to McKeesport, Penna., where he established a commission house. D. H. continued to operate the store, buying poultry and farm produce, which he shipped on the railroad to John, who sold it through the commission house.  After a few years they changed places, John came back to Augusta, taking over the store, and Howard moved to McKeesport.  This arrangement continued for quite a length of time.

In 1896, Rutledge Bros. removed their stock of clothing and dry goods to Bergholz, Ohio, and sold or leased their store to A. H. Myers and M. S. MilbournMr. and Mrs. Myers conducted the store, assisted by their son Everett, Samuel Crawford, and probably others.  Miss Lulu Long was in charge of the millinery department.

In Sept. 1898, A. H. Myers and M. S. Milbourn sold their store to Rutledge Bros.

Jan. 1899 Rutledge Bros. are closing out their store.

  Frank Brannan

Frank Brannan

Frank Brannan conducted a hardware and general store in this building for a few years, his daughters assisting him, also having charge of a millinery department.

Mr. Douglas H. Hunter opened a hardware store in the Rutledge building in 1905, Mr. Brannan having moved to Kensington, where he took over a hardware.

In 1908, J. W. Rutledge and D. V. Manfull formed a partnership and opened a general store in the building which is now the J. W. Brice Garage.  After a period of time, they moved the store to the Rutledge building, Mr. Hunter having sold his stock of hardware and moved to another location.  Some time later Mr. Manfull sold out to Rutledge, who continued to operate the store for several years, with the help of others at times.  Mr. and Mrs. Frank Manfull conducted the store for Mr. Rutledge for a period of time.  Mr. Rutledge also was a funeral director, having learned the profession prior to this time, which profession he followed, conducting funerals as needs required.  After many years in Augusta in the store business, the J. W. Rutledge family moved to Minerva, where they established the Rutledge Funeral Home.

The following have had general, grocery, and/or confectionery stores in this building at different times for a period of time:  Charles Leatherberry, George Leatherberry, John Davis, Mr. Gherhelm, William Ferguson, Joseph B. George, Mr. and Mrs. Ed. McKee, Lee R. Finley, and Nick Lavkulich (Nick's), the present store.

  January 1953 Calendar from Brown

January 1953 Calendar from Brown Hardware
Operated by Harry and Harley Brown
(Calendar owned by Denny Dinger)

In 1889, when Crawford and Gans dissolved partnership, George Gans was owner of a hardware store in the present J. W. Brice garage.  In 1893, he sold the store to Frank Brannan and William Kennedy.  Some time around 1895, Brannan and Kennedy sold out to John Thomas and sons Charles and Clarence of East Rochester.

While located in this building, a fire was discovered, a crowd soon gathered and a bucket brigade was formed, which soon brought the fire under control.  The crowd all went home, but were soon called back, as the fire had broken out again, having eaten its way into the partitions, which made it a stubborn fire to bring under control, but it was finally extinguished; this time they remained with it.  It started up the third time, but was soon extinguished.  After a period of time, Thomas and sons moved the store to the McLean building, operating the hardware a few years in this building, when they sold out to Simeon Ashbrook, who continued to operate the hardware store until 1904, when the building and contents burned.

Carl Walters operated a garage and machine shop, on the north side of West Main Street.  J. W. Brice garage, welding, and machine shop at above location, at present time.  Frank Geffert, filling station operator, Saline Oil Co.  Harley Brown conducted a hardware store in later years, on the south side of East Main Street, assisted by his father, Harry Brown.